Saturday, September 20, 2014

Technology and Writing


When is the last time you sat down and wrote something out using a pen and a piece of paper? Was it a list, a letter, a long paper of sorts? Aside from a handwritten card and a to-do list, I cannot think of anything.  Most of my communication is done verbally or through text messaging or email.  When I am required to write out a lot of information, I use a word processor.  The days of handwritten reports and long, handwritten letters are gone.  This means that solely teaching students to write with pencil and paper should be long gone as well.  Hicks (2013) states in his book Crafting Digital Writers, “The question is no longer whether we should use technology to teach writing; instead we must focus on the many ways that we must use technology to teach writing.” 

What I have observed with my students is that the main roadblock most students have when they are writing is motivation.  Many think, “Why am I writing this? The teacher is just going to grade it and then throw it away.”  I think incorporating technology into writing is a great way to give students an audience for their writing.  Also, allowing students to create digital pieces means students could save their documents and keep them forever.  This would also allow student to track their progress over time.  They could look back at past writings and see how they have improved. 

Many websites are available free that can assist teachers in giving their students an audience for their writing, but one site we use at my school is Kidblog.com.  Kidblog allows students to create their own blog.  Other students and the teacher can view and comment on their posts.  Also, teachers can set up class discussions.  This web tool is a great resource for providing motivation in writing and also giving students a chance to learn how to craft digital writing and receive constructive feedback from teachers and peers.  The great thing about this tool is that it is free!

Kidblog is not the only resource to motivate students and give them an audience for writing.  Hicks (2013) recommends a site that provides several technology resources called cooltoolsforschools.wikispaces.com. What tools do you recommend?










References    

Hicks, T. (2013). Crafting Digital Writing: Composing texts across media and genres. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann

"Common Core Writing Standard 6: Technology in Writing." YouTube. YouTube, 26 Apr. 2012. Web. 20 Sept. 2014.


3 comments:

  1. You have great ideas on your blog. It is very important to give kids a purpose for writing because they do feel like they are just doing it for a grade. We have to find ways to not only help them to enjoy writing, but to incorporate technology. What better way to do both of these things than to create a blog? You have my attention and I am very interested to know how the (kid blog) works for your class and for the school you are at. If our students can use technology in this way and they have that audience you spoke about I truly believe they will grow to love writing. It is so necessary for our students today to be able to express themselves through writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will let you know how it goes! My goal this year is to implement more writing in math. I am hoping I can incorporate more writing by posting math questions on Kidblog and allowing students to log on and have math discussions online.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna I thought your blog was well written and easy to follow. I looked at the Kidblog resource you spoke of in your blog and I think that might be an awesome resource to use in my class. Right now we use Edmodo and the kids enjoy posting responses and replying to others. This is the first year that every student has an iPad, so I am trying to utilize them at all times.

    ReplyDelete