Monday, November 3, 2014

Audio and Video Texts

            
         After reading Chapters 5 and 6 from the book Crafting Digital Writing, it became clear to me that my original introductory video could be enhanced greatly in order to appeal to my audience in a more effective manner.  I will specifically address the elements of the two videos I created using the MAPS acrostic Hicks (2013) mentions in his book.  MAPS stands for mode/media, audience, purpose, and situation.  When I originally created the video, I did not consider these details.  However, when creating the second video, I did.  The mode or the genre of my video stayed the same as both videos are introductory videos.  However, the media changed drastically.  The original video was simply recorded from my iPhone and shows me speaking and giving information about myself.  The second video includes pictures, music, and several video clips.  These forms of media were combined to create a video from the website www.wevideo.com.  The audience of my video stayed the same. However, because I considered my audience before creating the second video, I was able to provide text and photos that would add to the audience’s understanding of who I am and feel a deeper connection with me as a person.  The purpose of both videos is to introduce me, Anna Theros.  The purpose of the second video is also intended to entertain the audience. The situation changed somewhat because the original assignment was to simply video myself introducing myself to the class (Hicks, 2013).  The second assignment required me to enhance my current video with 2 or more of the following elements Hicks (2013) included in his book: narration, panning and zooming, repetition, time effects, film effects, transitions, sound effects and music, and captions and text.

            I chose to redo my video instead of editing it because I wanted to use wevideo.com to complete the assignment.  I was able to incorporate repetition at the beginning of my video by having members of my family and my Sunday school class say “our ________” to show what relation they had to me.  Wevideo.com also allows you to create transitions throughout your video.  By a click of a button I was able to add music to the background of my video.  Captions and text were also added to the video to support the narration.  
  
Click on the picture below to view my second introductory video: 


References:

Hicks, Troy (2013). Crafting digital writing. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.


2 comments:

  1. Anna I loved your video I found it very interesting and entertaining. I enjoyed how you incorporated your family into the video. I also used Wevideo. I found it very easy to work in and would use it again. I may even have my students use the video maker this year. One thing that I had to do was create a script when I made my video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Anna that your video was very creative with including your family members. The way you incorporated them was genius. Your review blog was very informative and you pointed out some very key points when trying to create a video based on chapters 5 and 6. The message to use wevideo was very useful to me and I had very little issues. I did get a little frustrated towards the middle end of my video with the music and publishing. I could not figure out how to get the video picture window on my blog. This would be so the viewers could just click on the video instead of the link, but all is well. I appreciate you giving me that bit of information and I would use it again as well.

    ReplyDelete